[support] Very Strange Security Breach

Steve Power steev at initsix.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 16:57:12 UTC 2010

thanks for the heads up mate.  thats a great module.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Ryan LeTulle <bayousoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those interested, you can test your input formats against security
>
> best practices by trying out http://drupal.org/project/security_review
>

> nice, thanks
>
> :ryan
>
> bayousoft.com <http://www.bayousoft.com>
> twitter.com/bayousoft <http://www.twitter.com/bayousoft>
>

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Greg Knaddison <
> Greg at growingventuresolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Bill Fitzgerald <bill at funnymonkey.com>
>> wrote:
>> > * What roles have "administer comments" rights?
>> > * Are there any VBO-based comments administration views on the site?
>> > * How secure is the site's database? Is root access still available? If
>> so,
>> > is the password secure?
>> > * Is phpMyAdmin installed on the site? That can be a weak spot.
>> > * Do the Apache logs from the time of the breach show anything
>> odd/curious ?
>>
>> All sage advice and good questions.
>>
>> > Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, I'd strongly recommend
>> creating a
>> > superuser role and retiring your UID1 account for everything but
>> > upgrades/updates.
>>
>> I think it's not so obvious and not really useful. If the "superuser
>> role" has the permission to "administer users" or "administer
>> permissions" then any user in that role has the exact same permissions
>> as UID1. The only difference is, as you state running update.php (in
>> D7 that distinction is gone - anyone with the right permission can run
>> update.php).
>>
>> The idea that "uid1 = unsafe" is a security myth that needs to die.
>> There are other more likely avenues of attack such as incorrectly
>> configured input formats.
>>
>> For those interested, you can test your input formats against security
>> best practices by trying out http://drupal.org/project/security_review
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg
>> --

Steve Power
Principal Consultant
Mobile: +44 (0) 7747 027 243
Fax: +44 (0)160 421 2871
Skype: steev_initsix
www.initsix.co.uk :: Initsix Heavy Engineering Limited
represent those of Initsix Heavy Engineering Limited.
error.

Initsix Heavy Engineering Limited
Registered in the UK: 5036938
Registered Address: 243 Kettering Road, Northampton, NN2 7DU, England.