[support] Very Strange Security Breach

prothero prothero at geol.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 17 18:56:24 UTC 2010

Folks:
Thanks for the link to the security test.
I installed it, BUT, when I was messing with my permissions, so fix
various file permissions, I did something very simple that caused an
error message all through the site:

--message:
user warning: Can't create/write to file '/tmp/
#sql_3cb2_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) query: SELECT DISTINCT b.* FROM blocks
b LEFT JOIN blocks_roles r ON b.module = r.module AND b.delta =
r.delta WHERE b.theme = 'solarsentinel' AND b.status = 1 AND (r.rid IN
(2) OR r.rid IS NULL) ORDER BY b.region, b.weight, b.module in /home/
wap/public_html/modules/block/block.module on line 433
--end message.

I understand that the error is in permissions for the /tmp directory.
I got this error when I changed permissions, but now when I do chmod -
R 0777 (as a test), I still get the error. This should set the
permissions to "Everybody can do anything". What's up? I'm not a unix
expert, but not a novice either and this confuses me. Does the "#"
char at the start of the file name mean the file is invisible, ??

Regards,
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthednet.org/