[support] Permissions Question

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Dec 21 15:06:51 UTC 2010

@antgiant,

First a note that hierarchical ordering of content doesn't come naturally to
Drupal. I've heard that Plone does that quite well by design.

That said, the old adage, "you can do anything with Drupal" applies here as
well. And of course, there are a million good reasons to use Drupal even if
hierarchical ordering of content is not Drupal's forte.

In terms of modules to give you fine grain over access, there are many
modules, but I like the Content Access module a lot:
http://drupal.org/project/content_access

You've got two nuts to crack;

   1. Creating multiple nodes of content that are organized hierarchically
   2. Setting up permissions so that the right people can do the right stuff
   with the right content.

Content Access helps with #2. As for #1, using Drupal's built-in taxonomy
together with a helper module or two or three could get you what you need.
For example, Taxonomy Menu might be your friend:
http://drupal.org/project/taxonomy_menu.

While this post certainly is not a recipe, nor does it suggest the only
possible directions, I hope this at least puts help you in some way.

Shai

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM, antgiant
<antgiant+drupalSupport at gmail.com<antgiant%2BdrupalSupport at gmail.com>