[support] how cache works: on the fly content creation (not node) and caching

Jean-Michel Pouré jmpoure at free.fr
Sat Jan 2 10:13:15 UTC 2010

Le vendredi 01 janvier 2010 à 21:21 +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo a
écrit :
> I've found 2 ways... but I'd like to hear something more
> drupal-halal.

I found this interesting topic in :
http://tech.jonathangardner.net/wiki/PostgreSQL/Materialized_Views

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Snapshot with Lazy Refreshes
Rather than have scheduled refreshes, you can simply mark the data as
wrong and then have whoever is interested in seeing the correct data
rebuild it and store the result. If you are very clever, you can combine
this with the "Snapshot with Windows" method to include records that
will be correct in the future.

Many caching methods I have seen rely on the processes who use the cache
to keep it organized and fresh. This isn't unreasonable in the database
world, either.

However, there is a significant development cost for this kind of
behavior. A typical session would look like:

     1. Examine records you are interested in looking at.
     2. If there are old records, refresh them.
     3. Actually run the query you were interested in again with the
        fresh data.