[support] Forum module?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Sun Jan 24 18:06:51 UTC 2010

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a *good* forum module, that works well, actually
*looks* like a standard web forum, and doesn't have external dependencies?

I have one website that uses the standard Drupal forum module. It sort
of works, but very poorly. It's really just taking the "comments"
feature and pretending that it's a forum, and it doesn't work very well.
It doesn't look like a forum at all.

I have another website that uses Simple Machines Forum. These modules do
look great, but SMF is a separate dependency and the integration with
Drupal is imperfect. You often get a lot of the SMF admin controls
poping out. Some times you have to login again to SMF, and so on. I have
to hide the smf URL to avoid the risk of someone creating an account at
SMF directly without a corresponding Drupal account. So this solution is
not great either.

Is anyone aware of a better alternative? Something that really works
inside Drupal but actually looks like a standard web forum?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.