[support] Drupal: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Wed Jul 21 06:19:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Kevin Davison <kevin at quevin.com> wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with the use of PostgreSQL with Drupal, as I tend to
> use Pressflow with MySQL on most projects. I read about the advantages and
> disadvantages, but not sure how to compare a clustered DB with PostgreSQL
> and Pressfow running on Pantheon with MySQL optimized, perhaps on multiple
> DB servers. It looks like there are various issues with contributed modules
> & PostgreSQL, and that doesn't sound like much fun to deal with.
> So now I have a potential client who needs help with PostgreSQL in the mix,
> and I'm not sure if I should get involved.
> Here's the client's development/production environment:

As per my personal experience, I feel Postgresql is much much faster
then Mysql (both properly configured and optimized, include compiler
optimizations).
My site loads at lightning speed on Postgresql, with Mysql it used to
near take about a minute.
Please other Mysql fans, don't start flame wars here, its just my
personal experience.

Further, don't use Postgresql unless you have good knowledge of SQL
and PHP, because many modules have SQL syntax which works only on
Mysql, so you need to tweak those scripts to get them working with
Postgresql (I have submitted a few patches for the same).

--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan