[support] Drupal: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Jul 21 13:24:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:29:14 +0200
Pierre Rineau <pierre.rineau at makina-corpus.com> wrote:

> +1 to all that Ivan said. Nothing to add, PostgreSQL is superior
> on all aspects, MySQL really sucks, and we know it since the 4.x
> version.

I wouldn't say MySQL sucks (not openly at least and without any
argument [1]) if you just need a SQL interface to the file system.
That's what most CMS use case really need.

8<--8<--8<--8<--cut here and conserve--8<--8<--8<--8<--
That's why in most cases MySQL is still the best choice for Drupal.
Most cases may not be the same as your case and may no be the most
profitable case.
8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<--8<-

I tend to use MySQL on window sites and PostgreSQL where I've an
application behind. Right now I'm not so much into social web sites
where you may also have several writes so till now it has been easy
to chose among the two.

Unfortunately for MySQL there are a lot of new contenders in that
space that seem to offer more and pretend less.

The only advantage and disadvantage too of MySQL is being more
mature than other newer DB in that space.

Since Drupal market itself as a framework with a CMS built around or
a CMS with a framework inside, it's important Drupal stay DB
agnostic still letting you exploit the features of each particular
DB... so you can use Drupal in many context not just as a mostly
read CMS...

For many social applications newer data storage are looking more and
more interesting than MySQL while for business that requires
transactions and coherency (that generally are quite lucrative)
PostgreSQL still seems the only contender in the open tool set.

[1] it's just more fun to say loudly that vi rulez and emacs sucks
because that's a topic that makes any argument on both sides
superfluous and you can concentrate on the flames

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it