[support] Blocks and views or coding in page-front.tpl.php

Ole Kerpel oke at iisg.nl
Mon Mar 1 15:36:03 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have a HTML design and I am transferring it into Drupal templates.
There is a table with four cells on the homepage (and on the homepage
only). In each cell there are a maximum of three titles of the most
recent items. Each of the four cells represent a different contenttype.

I created a block with the right content for the first cell, but I got
stuck constructing the table and its content with templates. More
specific, I got stuck on understanding the "display", "row", "style" and
"field" parts of the view section.

Because it took me too long I ended up writing php code in the
page-front.tpl.php file.

Would anyone of you suggest to go and use blocks the way I first tried
it and if so - how?

Thanks in advance for the trouble taken,

Kerpel