[support] Multi-Site question

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Sat Mar 13 14:56:40 UTC 2010

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> How do you prevent users from one academy working with others data now?
> You could just copy the entire table and after a year, remove the ones
> from each site that haven't logged onto the site in that time.
>
> Again, how do you filter the content for users now?

I'm not sure I understand. You are saying that I will have a hard time
knowing which users belong to which academy? If so, yes, that's a
problem and I don't have a solution yet.

> And take a look at http://drupal.org/project/domain which could be a
> better solution for you.

Thanks. Looks very interesting. I have a few questions:

1. Can I choose /not/ to share users between domains?
2. Can I have admins for just one domain? The idea is that the "domain
admin" would be able to add/edit users but only within his domain.
3. Can I get a list of users associated with one domain?

Item 2 is the main thing I am looking for. Let teachers manage kids in
their school without being able to affect users in other schools.

> Yes, and I think you don't want that.  The more DB the greater the
> overhead.  The Domain Access module I pointed you to above uses Drupal's
> Node Access system to determine which site get's what data.

Indeed. I'd rather not have the overhead. I'll take a good look at
Domain Access.

My biggest concern is not about sharing or not sharing content. It's
about giving out admin rights limited to a group.

Daniel.