[support] Help Pages with block showing a select set of nodes, in order

Tina Callahan tina.callahan at UDel.Edu
Mon Mar 22 17:57:07 UTC 2010

I'm helping to architect a site that has over 800+ help pages.  These
pages are mostly HowTo pages and some have a series of other pages that
are directly related.  Any one of these pages could be part of a
"process"  (such as downloading, installing, and configuring a mail
client).  When a user visits a node that fits into a "process", we want
to list the related pages in a menu or block where the links are
*always* in a set order.

I'm not sure technically how to achieve such a task.  I had thought
about using some combination of RelatedContent, NodeQueue, or even some
of the other modules that build hierarchical menus.  However, with the
number of pages that we have, I am concerned with using modules that
pre-create blocks.  It seems like a maintenance nightmare to have to
manage these blocks, not to mention it seems like a lot of overhead.

I've not really come across examples of sites that employ this type of
structure.  Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or examples that might
help out?

Thanks!
Tina