[support] The Dreaded Font Question

Neil Coghlan neil at esl-lounge.com
Mon Nov 15 21:38:13 UTC 2010

Which font would you recommend for a content heavy, text heavy site? I
know that's like asking "which car is best?" without listing any of the
thousand criteria required to give a proper answer.

I used Verdana on my dev site until someone said it looked "deadly
dull". I noticed even the BBC has now dumped Verdana and gone with Arial.

I know the question of web-safe fonts is very important and that for a
screen environment like a website, it's probably best to go with a
sans-serif font...but which one?? A good deal of my content will be of
the type, blog posts, forum posts, image/vid descriptions....50-500
words, no lines too long, good line-heights used to make everything
readable.

I thought I was on solid ground with verdana but in retrospect, I think
my friend was right. It's a bit of a dull one, our buddy Verdana!

So...which one do you use? What does your overriding font-family
declaration look like in your theme's CSS? For now, I've gone with:

font-family:Tahoma, "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

but I've changed it so many times, I'm not sure of anything anymore :o)

Neil