[support] Dreaded Font Question

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Nov 16 22:57:17 UTC 2010

A serif font is supposed to be easier to read.
I tend towards Bitstream Charter or occasionally TNR

Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, there's noting to pick between them they are
just characterless stick letters.

 From here on the subject of formatting a page is relevant:

I think the font is not a  primary consideration, all fonts are boring.
I do a newsletter, all text, all bitstream charter, totally boring
unless the shape of the text [box] becomes an image.
People look at a page and see the inherent shape of the passage of text,
how it fits on a page, in a column, does it stand out.
If there is an interesting word they read more.
No interesting - highlight words = boring.

The formatting of sentences and paragraphs seems to make or break a
passage of text.

A reader should be provided the way to ascertain  the message, subject,
detail from a brief passage of text.
If the message, topic or subject is clouded by endless surrounding text
it becomes a labour to wade through and the text boring, just like this
sentence.

Another consideration is page layout.
Text right across a page is difficult to read because the eye sees only
the width of, for example, the distance between the tip of your pointer
finger and the 2nd knuckle, about 40-50 mm.
Each side of that fades into blur.

Try columns with 6-10 px white space between, them justify the text in
each column, separate paragraphs with plenty of white space and no
matter what text or font is used it'll come to life. Font will not
matter but serif fonts work best because the mind recognises the top
half  to 2/3rds of any text.

Suggestion: Make 3 column in the top 3rd of a page, 2 or 4 column in the
mid third and 3 column in the bottom third and put a notice or something
outstanding across the bottom of the page no more than 3 lines and in a
smaller font than the above.

Don't have endless text scrolling down a page, no one's going to read
all that and it's difficult to print in hard copy.

Use headings to change or present the subject or topic of each section.

You will have lively pages that are easy to read.
Roger