[support] Backing up and migrating a drupal site

Moses Elias (2) iom at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 21 10:13:21 UTC 2010

On 21/10/2010 04:29, Roger wrote:
> I have a development site on a remote server.
> I've installed the Backup_Migrate module and found that it only copies
> the Drupal code not the database, images, etc.
Incorrect. The Backup and Migrate module on the server backs up your
entire Drupal database. Nothing else.

> I do not want to continue developing on the remoter server site as the
> save times can frequently be 1 minute or so even after small changes to
> css code. So trialing css code changes can take a long time over all.
>
> I tried cPanel on the server but the resultant mysql.tar.gz seems to
> produce only the same as the backup_migrate module produces.
>
> When I used the b_m module to restore to my home pc it killed my Drupal
> installation, WSOD.
After you you have backed up your Drupal database on the server you need
to backup your entire public_html or www directory on the server.  Store
both your database backup and your public_html or www directory backup
locally somewhere safe on your local machine.

You only need those two components to create an image of your Drupal
site on your localhost.

> When I have all the drupal site and mysql database I can develop at
> home, fix issues then intend to migrate it back to the server but after
> the current experience am nervous.
Install a fresh copy of drupal on your local machine using the latest
Drupal version from Drupal.org. However, when you install it use the
same database name and database password you used on the server. This is
important.

Next, drop your newly created database on your local machine. Now,
import the server database backup you created from your server to your
local machine through phpmyadmin, from the same place where you dropped it.

Now copy the database backup of your public_html or www folder and
replace it all together (not overwrite), whatever is in the htdocs
folder on your local machine.

Next, you need to perform an update of your local Drupal database on the
local machine to the latest version.  You can do this in a couple of
ways. If you are using Drush then execute the commands drush pm_update
and updatedb consecutively following the appropriate instructions.

Now your Drupal site from the server should be correctly installed
locally. Only this time its up to date with Drupal according to the
latest Drupal version, not the version you used on the server.

To migrate your Drupal site from the local machine back to the server
where it came from, follow the reverse process.

If there are any mistakes or better methods to the method I use, please
let me know.

Regards,
Moses