[support] Backup_migrate

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 23 01:51:38 UTC 2010

> My thoughts below, based on my understanding and processes, but anyone
> can feel free to correct anything misstated.
>> > So it seems I need a vanilla install of the same version of Drupal.
>> > Then copy all the /sites/all directories& files across to my machine.
> Right, as long as you aren't mucking with anything in core, are using
> the same versions of core on your old and new site, and are using the
> standard Drupal folder structure for modules, themes and files, then you
> should be able to just copy the sites directory, including both
> sites/all and sites/default. The exception to this is the file
> sites/default/settings.php. You won't want to overwrite that in your
> new installation.
> The database doesn't need to be of the same name and password.
> Backup-Migrate will just move the data to the database that you have set
> up for this fresh install, whatever it's name is. This is defined in
> settings.php, which is why you don't want to overwrite that file.
> It will drop and recreate all tables, at least those tables that you are
> including in the backup you create. I just always use the default tables
> that Backup-Migrate has selected, and it works for me.
>
>> > Thanks
>> > Roger
> Michelle

Thanks Michelle
Done.
Drupal does not use the database tables for some reason.
All the files have been created and populated, drupal uses the theme and
the header image as is on the server but nothing of the users, roles,
content types, content, views exists in the new installation.
One thing I note is the calendar and date modules, if I turn on the
modules I get the WSOD and it defaults to those modules turned off.
Puzzling!
Roger