[support] Is Drupal Appropriate for Our Site?

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 08:00:40 UTC 2010

The Times They Are A'Changing. Use Drupal, man, and don't look back.

When you say "for a simple site, use WordPress", for a complex site use
Drupal (admin headeaches worth it then), for a (wet thumb stuck up in the
air to feel the wind) not so complex site, use a half-assed CMS that has
Apache writing to root.

But now, your clients don't want websites. Nor do you if you want a decent
professional blog, capable of creating a portfolio content type and listing
it and theming it with views.

They want website applications. Which means you need a development framework
to develop with, not an off-the-shelf-solution to stick somewhere. Which
means, to be productive, you need to get involved with a framework, make
reusable components of your own with it, get involved in its community, know
which modules to use, because you can't do this alone. Which means you need
to solve once and for all your administration processes on all your customer
sites, and teach your customers best practices on how to upgrade Drupal and
modules, or provide maintenance services, etc.

So, you can be a dilettant, and think in terms of half-assed solutions for
half-assed websites, or you can be a website application developer who works
with a CMS framework they have gotten to know well over the months and
years, and with which they have become productive. Which is not to say you
never whip up a few well formed A List Apart style HTML+CSS for a small
static site, or that you never install WordPress for you uncle's blog (he's
not going to update it tho).

A website application developer is something to be.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://projectflowandtracker.com

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net