[support] Is Drupal Appropriate for Our Site?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Sep 25 15:55:23 UTC 2010

Dick,

Dick Middleton wrote:
> There's 2 simple CMSs which may fit your needs better than Drupal.  Firstly
> look at phpsqlitecms.  It's almost trivially simple, the data base is part of
> it so install&  admin is easy.  It's not a full featured CMS but it works as
> far as it goes.  Here's a little thing I knocked up for a friend
> http://www.asstec.co.uk.
>
> The other one I like is cmsmadesimple.  This is more conventional but again is
> not fully featured but great for simple sites.  Here's what another friend did
> with it:  http://www.johnchivall.co.uk/

Nice pointers.  Any sense of whether either of them are any good at
email and list integration (e.g., subscribing to content updates by
email)?  I tend to need that in a lot of the work I do - which tends to
push me to WordPress and Drupal, though their respective email and list
integration modules always seem to lag the main release (I miss the
OG2list module).  For some reason folks who develop CMS software don't
seem to do email very well, and people who do list managers don't seem
to do web interfaces very well.  About the only good open-source
combination I've ever seen is groupserver
(http://groupserver.org/groupserver), but development is by a tiny group
in Australia, and they've never really built a larger
development/support community around it.
> My experience with websites in a box it that they're not awfully good, but
> worse, you get trapped into their web hosting and domain management.  If you
> find don't like like them you've got a hassle extracting yourself and starting
> again.

Can you say vendor lock-in?

Miles