[support] Is Drupal Appropriate for Our Site?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Sep 25 16:55:07 UTC 2010

Ryan LeTulle wrote:
> Maybe, but I tend to look for the ways that I can integrate the
> business into the site and vice versa.  Unity.  Otherwise, it seems
> the site is always out of date amongst other things.  So far, I have
> found Drupal extremely suitable for satisfying that requirement very
> easily.  IMO Every business should constantly look for new ways to
> engage their online customers.
Umm... why?  It really depends on the business.  If the business is an
on-line publication, or other on-line service, sure.  If the application
is retailing - then it depends on whether your customers and products
are amenable to online sales.  If you sell big-ticket hardware (e.g.,
Cisco), then the web site is primarily about spec sheets and
documentation (take a look), and the business is driven by traditional
sales channels.  If the product is environmental consulting (the topic
that started this thread), people are paying for time and materials -
the web site is incidental to anything that actually generates revenue.
> Drupal is definitely not the only choice and isn't the best choice for
> everything, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out for very basic
> websites either. :)
Personally, I wouldn't use Drupal for simple sites - I have, and pretty
much always ended up migrating to something else.  But that's me.  Your
mileage my vary.

It all comes down to business goals, the most cost- (and time-)
effective way of getting the desired result, and ultimately, ROI.

Miles Fidelman