[support] CAS plugin: SSL error in verifying ticket

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:13:13 UTC 2010

2010/9/21 Metzler, David <metzlerd at evergreen.edu>:
> Hmmm... The reasoning seems sound, but although I'm the cas module
> maintainer, another developer contributed the code for that portion of
> the app.  Could you do me a favor and log an issue on the cas project
> issue queue for this one?  I'll see if I can get the original code
> contributer to respond.

Hi again,

I figured this out in the meantime and I don't think there's a need
for a new issue. Let me explain.

- Drupal + cas: all there is wrong, is the wording in the
aforementioned 3 options:

> * do not verify the certificate
> * verify the server using PEM certificate

This is actually: do *client* authentication. This could be useful if
you want the CAS server to identify the application that's trying to
authenticate

> * verify the CA using PEM certificate

This is actually the way certificates are usually used: make sure you
are talking to the right server. And this actually works if you work
around a certain bug: the openssl client is incompatible to the ssl
implementation in Jave (OpenJDK) (and as far as I read around it's the
JDK's fault). What you can try at the command line with openssl is
this:

openssl s_client -connect yourserver.example.com:443  -showcerts -no_ticket

The last option Makes It Work (tm).

Unfortunately you can't steer make curl modify this option, or set it
as a default - it isn't configurable in eg openssl.cnf. So the only
workaround is to recompile openssl without support for this
functionality.

--
Frank Van Damme
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,