[support] Help with Multisite

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 12 19:19:53 UTC 2011

Make some bogus domain and put it in your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 myname.mytld

You can really make it anything. The one thing about hosts files is that
you will have to do the same for every subdomain too. Hosts doesn't
allow wildcards, so unless you want to setup your own DNS server, you'll
have to go that route.

Apache does handle wildcard sudomains.

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName myname.mytld
  ServerAlias *.myname.mytld
  DocumentRoot {path to your installation directory}
  <Directory />
    AllowOverride All
  </Directory>

</VirtualHost>