[support] Theme css

Carl Wiedemann carl.wiedemann at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:42:14 UTC 2011

CSS aggregation is cached and does not refresh until cache is cleared. Thus,
when you make a change to a CSS file it is not evident until you clear the
Drupal cache.

One of the biggest factors in front-end performance is reducing the number
of requests the browser has to make in a single page load. With
non-aggregated CSS files, the browser has to make a separate HTTP request
for every single file, which contributes to the overall page load time. It
is imperative to front-end performance that you aggregate CSS and JS files
in a production environment.

Using a tool like yslow or Firebug's Net tab can give you an idea of how
many requests are being made.

Further methods to reduce requests are to aggregate remote JS files locally,
and use image sprites on CSS background images to reduce the number of
images.

Ancillary to the performance concern is the fact that America's sweetheart,
Internet Explorer, refuses to read more than 32 stylesheets (and I *believe*
200 kB of CSS?). I don't particularly mind this bug since it is a firm
reminder to always turn on aggregation.