[support] mail issue: new user registration email not being sent

Bill Traynor btraynor at mvista.com
Sun Aug 21 13:30:13 UTC 2011

Hello,

I've inherited a community site (meld.org) running Drupal and I'm struggling
with a problem that appears to have been present for some time now.  When a
new user registers on the site, Drupal indicates that the new user
registration email with password and next steps has been sent to the user,
but that mail never gets generated.  I've been researching this problem for
a week now and see that it's cropped up for many users in the past, with the
possible solution being found here:
http://drupal.org/node/353797#comment-4426896

So here's what I know:
Drupal 6.19
PHP 5.2.17
Apache 2.2.3 (RedHat)
SimpleMail
php.ini:  sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

I can send mail manually from the box using:
$sudo /usr/sbin/sendmail -f "admin at meld.org" to "btraynor at gmail.com" <
test.mail

And I verified that PHP can send mail from the machine as well.

I've tried using the SMTP Authorization module with the Outgoing Mail
logging module and generating a Test message does NOT send a mail out, but
does log it as if it had in the Outgoing Mail logging report.  However,
/var/log/maillog shows nothing.

Beyond simply starting to upgrade everything one by one, I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts on next steps would be appreciated.

--
Bill Traynor
Technical Writer & Community Manager of Meld.org