[support] Anonymous users access to some files and all nodes

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Tue Feb 15 13:34:39 UTC 2011

[Originally under: Access nodes but not files?]

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Michelle Ziegmann wrote:

> Enable the Content Permissions module (part of CCK).  Then go to
> permissions, and you'll be able to define permissions for every field
> individually.  As a caution with this though, you'll have to set
> permissions every time you add a new field, or users won't be able to
> view your content.

Thanks, but I actually left out some information, as I noticed when
verifying that in fact I had already done what you suggest.

I need to have some files accessible by anonymous users.  The scenario is
this:

Anonymous users can see all nodes [of type X].
Anonymous users can download some files [attached to nodes of X].
Authenticated users can see all nodes [of type X].
Authenticated users can download all files [attached to X nodes].

I had hoped to avoid views for this, but it looks like that may not be
possible.

I have to use the same content type for both, so that content
accessibility can be altered.

I can use taxonomy to flag some content as publicly downloadable, and some
as privately downloadable, and then structure a view to make the file
field available only if public download is flagged in taxonomy for that
node.
I guess I could also use a CCK checkbox for this.

I suppose what that means, is that I must prevent all access to that
content type, and make it accessible only via a view.

Does that sound like the most logical way to get this done?

Thanks

Luke