[support] Active Directory on Linux Server

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 20:59:30 UTC 2011

On Feb 15, 2011 3:11 PM, "Fred Jones" <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:

> > yes, you can setup ad on linux. if you go the ldap route, it relies on
an
> > existing windows ad farm. however, if you go the samba4 route (still in
> > development, but getting pretty good http://news.samba.org/) you can
setup,
> > run, and manage the whole thing from linux.
> >
> > however, since ldap is such a pita to setup, i'm pretty sure you can
find
> > something easier to setup that will use windows' ldap to authenticate.
> > samba3 will authenticate with ad
> > (username=domain/user,password=password,workgroup=domain).
> >
> > what i don't know is what drupal uses for authentication. if it uses
linux,
> > i'd look for a pam module.
>
> Sounds like I would need a dedicated server for this. This client has
> regular shared hosting...

Probably. If its a chroot type host, you might be able to hack something
together.

You might also see if there's some type of windows soap authentication
interface you can setup with ssl on his end and hack around with that. You
might also see if windows can export the users and password hashes to db and
have a mysql table with that. Also, I think I mentioned that nmap has some
rpc packages you might try to implement (though that may require root -
idk). And if they have ruby on the server, metasploit will definitely work.

I'd start off looking for a php windows auth module though. Past that, it
might be up to you to take any of the above and reverse engineer something
into php.