[support] Overriding Question for Theme

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:24:21 UTC 2011

I have read so many bits of documentation on overriding theme
functions in my template.php and made various attempts but to be
honest, I have just confused my self more and more and now I'm lost.
Can someone lay it out for me, plain and simple what is required of
me?

I want to assign some CSS to my primary links menu, but there are no
unique identifiers on my primary links;. the first menu item naturally
in Drupal is given class="expanded first active-trail" and the last
has class="collapsed last" but the items in between are just
class="collapsed". I want to apply some CSS to these top level
headings (I'm thinking I could specify a class in the description
field of each menu heading and then have my theme spit this out in the
class="" bit?

As mentioned before I have been trying, and am failing so I wondered
if someone could tell me from the top, so I understand correctly. I
made a function in template.php, my_theme_name_links() which is a copy
of theme_links() from theme.inc and made some changes, but they aren't
having an effect on my menu links on my site (I have cleared the cache
under Administer > Site Configuration > Performance). I made the same
changes in the original theme_links() function in theme.inc (just to
see it happen) and again, the changes aren't happening on my site. I'm
very confused :(

--
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?