[support] Development Best Practices

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 13:38:24 UTC 2011

You are in excellent company in the Drupal community. As you must be aware,
there is no single approach towards tailoring software development
engineering to Drupal.

If you'll go over past DrupalCon talks, slides and videos (as well as the
Lullabot Do It With Drupal series) you'll find a lot to get excited about.

Go to http://sf2010.drupal.org/conference/schedule and you will see many
talks on the subject, and if you click on them many have slides and video
links.

The site from DrupalCon Copenhagan is unfortunately offline now, but there
was a gem of a gem there, which in my opinion is the first thing you should
watch, and which is saved for posterity by archive.com:

http://www.archive.org/details/OnTheImportanceOfDoneScrumAndDrupalAtTheEconomist

"Join Rob Purdie, ScrumMaster at the Economist, and Ezra Barnett Gildesgame,
Developer at Growing Venture Solutions, as they discuss how the Economist
uses Scrum to focus on completing work according to an exacting "definition
of done."

We'll cover what "done" means in Scrum, and explain both the processes and
tools we use to deliver thin vertical slices of functionality and coordinate
with our development teams in London, New York, and Austin, Texas as we
build the online product for a publication with a circulation of over 1
million in subscribers in over 200 countries."

So this is no abstract BS session, but really how they got things done, in
terms of process in general and configuration management and testing in
particular.

Grep in archive.com for drupalcon and you will find many more gems.

Then there is my own book, Leveraging Drupal, quite obsolete since it was
published in Feb, 2009 (today there is aegir, and the modern drush, and git
and "everything in code"...), but whose first chapter might be interesting
to you (it's free online here:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470410876.html ).

Topics you should find out about: aegir, drush, everything in code (and
features), git, hudson and drupal, selenium and simple test and drupal...

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://drupal.org/project/pft