[support] Development Best Practices

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:13:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Carl Wiedemann <carl.wiedemann at gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 to perusing the past conference sessions. To flesh-out Victor's last
> remarks, your question is common among newcomers to Drupal who question
> whether every mouse click they make on their dev environment will have to be
> made on production as well. In general, the answer is to put the effects of
> every mouse click into code so that UI workflows are duplicated by simply
> updating files on the production environment.

Very well put, Carl. On this note, I feel the best resource possible is

http://nuvole.org/blog/2010/aug/24/features-based-development-workflow

This is a set of slides (these guys are going to be doing training and a
session in Chicago) that really underlines the "everything in code"
approach, and the solutions it puts forward are very usable whether you
atually use features or just ctools, views, image cache, strongarm and
taxonomy export (2-dev), etc., bulk export on their own.

I discussed the subject in my recent block post here:

http://awebfactory.com.ar/node/458

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://drupal.org/project/pft