[support] Cloud pricing estimates

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 6 14:00:31 UTC 2011

Ms. Nancy Wichmann wrote:
> There should be advantages in reliability (uptime) and scalability (many servers) and speed (geographic diversity). I can't say that I have seen any evidence in my minimal exposure that any of that actually happens.

I don't see this happening ever because of the expense cost to price
ratio unless you go with someone like Google or some other equally large
company and then the price to income ratio will hit you big time.
Really, I would suggest that your client look to dedicated servers when
they can afford it.  The two dedicated servers can be cloud enabled for
their use.

The benefit of cloud for the lessor priced hosting providers is to
themselves.  They don't have to work as hard to provide you with the
same services and can propagate the work via cloud technology to other
equipment when one becomes overloaded.  It is also a name thrower for
clout advertising.  Everyone must do as they're neighbor does kind of
thing.  It's new, and sounds exciting so I must have it which makes it
misused and abused.

--
Earnie
-- http://progw.com