[support] Child menu items not expanding on new menus (Drupal 7)

Adam Denning adamd at popstarnetworks.com
Thu Jun 23 17:46:28 UTC 2011

I posted a breadcrumb problem a couple days ago that it turns out is just a subset of this problem. I just tested this on a clean install of Drupal 7.2 with the same results.  I apologize for the lack of brevity.

The problem is when creating a new menu, the menu items do not respect the child/parent relationship like they do with the default Navigation menu. I created a new menu called Client menu. I then created a Client content-type assigned to this menu in menu settings. Then I created a new Client page, Documentation, with a parent item of Client menu. Then I created another Client page, A Product, with a parent of Documentation.

I assigned Client menu to a block and it displays below Navigation. When I click Documentation, the A Product child does not display. Also, if I go to the A Product page directly, the breadcrumb shows Home > A Product, instead of Home > Documentation > A Product.

If I set Client menu to expanded, then A Product DOES display as a child. However, the breadcrumb still shows Home > A Product. When I click list links in admin, the nesting displays properly.

If I change the Client content type to use the default Navigation Menu instead of my Client Menu, everything works properly (proper breadcrumb trail, and clicking Documentation expands the sub-item).

What do I have to do to a new menu to make the menu items function like the Navigation Menu?

Thanks,

Adam