[support] site_offline variable exists in db of my D7 site

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Jun 28 02:01:54 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

So today I just discovered that the variable for putting your site into
maintenance mode for D7 is "maintenance_mode" (in D6 it is "site_offline".

But here is the weird thing... in the db of a D7 site there is a row in the
variables table for the variable: site_offline

My guess on how it happened is that via drush I likely did: drush vset
site_offline 1

I would not have gotten a warning that the variable didn't exist; I'm pretty
sure Drush would have just created a row in the variables table for
site_offline and set the value to "1". And I must not have checked to see
whether the site was offline or not. Of course it wouldn't have been. But I
just went on doing my thing and then set it "back" to site_offline 0, not
doin' a friggin' thing to the Drupal install other than adding a meaningless
row and value to the variables table.

If that is the case, then I'll just delete that row from the db.

Unless there is some other way that variable could have gotten there.

Any other possible explanations?

Also note, this site was a fresh D7 install, not an upgrade from D6.

Thanks,

Shai Gluskin