[support] Drupal 7: inline images with wysiwyg

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Thu Mar 3 14:41:22 UTC 2011

On 02 Mar 2011, at 10:20 PM, Richard wrote:

> Op dinsdag 01 maart 2011 13:23:43 schreef Richard:
>> Op maandag 28 februari 2011 19:52:54 schreef Jeff:
>>> I fear this is a really contentious issue with Drupal, and I'm sure
>>> many people feel as I do that there should be transparent and
>>> unified
>>> method for providing users with a simple and effective image upload
>>> facility.
>>
>> Ik would be great if the interface would be similar compared to the
>> Wordpress image upload wizard.  That was is very easy to work with.
>
> Yesterday a module was released (a new version of the module) that
> does this,
> it is called image picker and its url is:
> http://drupal.org/project/imagepicker
> It's a nice module :)

Thanks for that heads up, Richard. It does look very cool, and I would
have jumped at it 3 or 4 days ago! (Before I discovered "insert"!)

Best of all it doesn't have a clunky front-end, and simply uses your
computer's browser to locate the image. Then Upload, then press
Insert, and you're done: )

Almost nothing to do to install and get it up and running, too, and
the only 'gotcha' I can see is that it puts the uploads into per user
directories. (The gotcha I'm referring to is when I converted D6
images to imagefield and the user created nodes lost their
permissions.) I'm still convinced that users rarely, if ever, need to
refer back to their old images, and that feature adds confusing
complexity for end-users. Think about it like with Facebook. You
create 'galleries' and images are tagged to appear in users and
groups. But it's not like you ever get presented with the option or
need to re-insert an image that you uploaded before. (Okay, on second
thoughts and checking out the Groups and Public options with
imagepicker, I'll provisionally retract that, as I can possibly
foresee some use-case scenarios - maybe - but they don't apply to me.)

It's probably too much to hope for consensus, but personally I'm still
tending towards the very simple imagefield + insert modules. I can
simply override and scale the image sizes in the imagefield settings,
so that all my user upload displays are consistent with the site's
theme.

I'm not the most skilled Drupal user by any means, so please take my
views with a pinch of salt. But I have been using Drupal since 2006
and been upgrading along the way from 4.7 to 6.x. Now, to leave the
upgrade bugs behind (image! yah!), I've decided to start fresh on D7
and I'm using node_export to bring my content across, and rebuilding a
lot manually.

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts and experiences...