[support] How to store/retreive date fields into/from MySql

Austin Einter austin.einter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:49:49 UTC 2011

After all search, I found it really difficult to deal with date. I am trying
to store the date in MySql table as varchar type and placeholder as %s.

However I need two functions to convert date from array format to string
format (required while storing into table) and string format to array format
(Required while showing it in form).

The below code does that for me.

*function dateArrToStr(&$customDateArr)
{
 $strDate = t($customDateArr['day']).t('-
').t($customDateArr['month']).t('-') . t($customDateArr['year']);
 return $strDate;
}*
**
**
*function dateStrToArr (&$customDateStr, $length)
{
    $convDate = array();
 $index = 0;
 $customToken = t('');
 $dashPosition = 0;

 for($index = 0; $index < $length; $index++)
 {
  if($customDateStr[$index] == t('-'))
  {
   if($dashPosition == 0)
   {
    //Set the day
    $dashPosition++;
       $convDate['day'] =  $customToken;
   }
   else if ($dashPosition == 1)
   {
    //Set the month
    $dashPosition++;
    $convDate['month'] = $customToken;
   }
   $customToken = t('');
  }
  else
  {
   $customToken = t($customToken) . t($customDateStr[$index]) ;
  }
 }
 //Set year
 $convDate['year'] = $customToken;