[support] Drupal 7. Memory error, other questions.

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Fri May 6 04:07:46 UTC 2011

Hello all.

I continue with my learning of Drupal 7. I have been constructing a
site, simple one I guess and I guess I am doing fine. I have some
questions about what would be the good way to do it Drupal Way. I
have ideas but not sure. Thanks in advance for all your time and help.

1) I am starting receiving this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried
to allocate 545020 bytes) in
/home/mytestsite/public_html/includes/form.inc on line 3678

Is this a PHP configuration error? I mean an error to change the
memory for PHP , Right? or one for Drupal? I was checking the files
in Drupal but I can not find the one to change. The error appears
once in a while and always when I am in Administrative mode.

2) For my learning exercises I created 2 scenarios.
   a) One where there are LOT of small notes, divided in 4 groups.
This is a site where I have collected motivational sentences or
stories, all text. NO users are allowed to enter new ones, just
comments after validation. Nothing fancy in images, the simplest the
best but able to have a good image for the user.

   b) Another similar but this one will have a section where people
can post anonymously . Imagine that this section is where people
describe their experiences, fears, etc. Of course would be validated
but people won't need to register to do it. This one also need a
forum, simple but strong, stable, lot of comments from registered users.

I have planed to do the simple one and then use the second one after
the experience of the first one.

Questions.

 From 1).
- I guess the error it is from PHP. I just want to be sure since I
have to ask my ISP to do that change, I am not sure if I have access
to that file or has to ask them (and pay for it for doing the change).

 From 2)

a) On your experience using it , what's the best option on a theme to
use? ON my testing marinelli is doing fine but for this exercise is
too fancy . I want something less graphical.

b) Do you think I can use a forum block or there is maybe a simpler
module for something that let people to post anonymously?

c) Since both sites will have LOT of post under 4 main categories.
Inside each category there are some sub-categories and a third level
inside.. 3 Levels.
What's the best way to do this. I mean have menus that gave me the
main, sub and sub sub categories while user select them BUT That once
selected only ALL the post from that category-sub-third level appear?
Maybe this sound too stupid but I just can not do it yet with
Marinelli theme. I mean, that if I select any third level menu that
points me only to all the related information that when created where
cataloged under that menu only.

3) Something that confuse me a little when reading the documentation
in general is that mentions that "this or that" is now part of the
core in Drupal 7. For those of us new t Drupal there is no prior
experience. Reading today how to solve the last question I guess can
be done with views and documentation but since it says that almost
all is included in Drupal 7. I am confused. For those with no
previous experience with Drupal, what's the best way to study what's
now included and how it is supposed to work?

4) Finally (I am sorry for the long message). After I finished my
exercises I GUESS I am ready to do some simple solutions. Then I
would like to learn how to include my own need but under the
framework of drupal and the themes. For example I would like to be
able to include maybe special formats that show information , let say
of sales from a group of salesmen. I mean , that we can use all the
tools for validation of users, post, controls, etc, etc but that also
can work with information from other systems? I know this will take
time but I would like to learn the core, how interact with it,
themes, etc. Besides the documentation from the site, any other suggestion?

If possible you experts, can share what wah the method you used to learn?

Mine is to learn do simple things without modifying anything. Do all
with all the tools, themes, modules, etc and I am sure it can be done
LOT of good things (I have been studying other sites to see what they
have done. Even when I do not know what they do or how they did it I
am sure some do it only with the tools available. Then my step is to
start trying to include information form other Mysql database . So I
will study the structure of the database so I can have the same
structure of permissions mainly.

Thanks in advance for all your comments and again I am sorry in
advance for the long post.

Jorge Biquez