[support] HTML e-mail (was Re: Chaos Tool installation problem)

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Wed May 11 19:49:54 UTC 2011

> 	Davide Mirtillo <mailto:davide at evnetwork.it>
> May 9, 2011 6:40 AM
>

> There are loads of reasons why HTML messages are not good for mailing
> lists. See [0] for some examples.
by the way, that page is from, like 2003. It talks about Compuserve 4.
Netscape Communicator. (is that even still available?)  Regarding the
scary language about html emails and attachments potentially carrying
viruses, Trojans & worm -- nowadays it's at least just as likely, if not
more likely, that you'll end up getting some malware on your computer
just by simply visiting a web site. As for the risk involved in
attachments, would you counsel everyone to never end or open
attachments, then? If you would not warn against attachments, then why
warn against html?

As for the issues with bandwidth and message size ... hey, read your
mail via webmail and simply don't download to your computer, if your
bandwidth is metered. As for message size, hell, my keyboard has a
Delete key, how about yours?

Anyhow. Really. I was one of the loudest plain text email evangelists.
In 2000 :-)
Ten years in the world of online communications is like a century in
other modes of human interaction.
I have never looked back. I have saved countless precious hours in my
lifespan by NOT having to use equal signs and dashes and create phony
boxes and other ways of making a long plain text email bearable to read.
Throw in a little bolding or a larger text size and that sure sets off a
section subhead nicely. Sorry, but I will never see this as being a problem.

> There's also an rfc about messaging
> which i think would be pretty interesting for some of the members of
> this mailing list [1].

Um. That's from 1995. Even the Wikipedia page on that RFC mentions that
these community rules change in practice, are "in flux". And the page
doesn't even mention formatted email (i don't think, just scanned quickly).

> Simply saying "omg it's 2011, get an html e-mail client!1!!!!!" is not
> an answer, because it's not a logic argument, and i could just reply on
> the same line: "omg it's 2011, learn to configure your e-mail client
> properly!".

My only point in my earlier message was, again, this is a losing battle.
I also think it would be much nicer of folks *requested* plain text
emails rather than instruct or demand folks to learn how to send them.

omg, it's not 1995 anymore, Either get an html capable email client or
just delete everything that's not plain-text ... :-)

kazar