[support] Drupal multisite install

Rolf Kutz rk at vzsze.de
Sun May 15 12:03:50 UTC 2011

Hi Roger,

On 15/05/11 06:55 +1000, Roger wrote:
>I'm trying to understand Drupal multisite install which no matter what I
>localhost/first.com works and is operational
>localhost/first.com/site1  gives Not Found error
>localhost/site1  gives Not Found error
>localhost/first.com.site1 gives Not Found error

You need to acces the sites by their name, so you
set up virtual hosts for your first (site1),
second (site2) and following hostnames (siteN),
all pointing to /var/www/html

You also create hostnames for them, either in
/etc/hosts or with a nameserver. If your webserver
is on the same machine as your webbrowser, you put

127.0.0.1 site1
127.0.0.1 site2
127.0.0.1 siteN

Then you cp the /home/www/html/sites/default/
Directory to /home/www/html/sites/site1 and
/home/www/html/sites/site2 (and
/home/www/html/sites/siteN).

The installer should be available with your
browser at
http://site1
http://site2
http://siteN

Hope that helps.

>File does not exist: /var/www/html/first.com/site1

You have an error in the URL and maybe in your
setup.

>Is this a problem with /var/ww/html, should I have a directory
>in /home/user and set ServerRoot to that directory?

Which directory you choose is up to you. It just
needs to be pointed to in your virtual host
configuration. Remember that you need to point
every virtual host of a multisite installation to
the root of your drupal installation
(/var/www/html in your case).

>I'm trying to understand the role of .htaccess on my local machine
>because on the remote server I cannot alter httpd.conf so overrides have
>to be in the root .htaccess and this also has me stumped.
>Should I put the <VirtualHost> in .htaccess and leave httpd.conf
>untouched. It does not discuss this in the tutorials that I have read.

I think you can't configure virtual hosts in
.htaccess.

regards
Rolf

--