[support] Drupal multisite install

Kevin Roberts kevin at w1ngl.us
Wed May 18 05:46:25 UTC 2011

Try this

<VirtualHost  site1:80>
directives
Servername site1
directives
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost  site2:80>
directives
Servername site2
directives
</VirtualHost>

-----Original Message-----
From: support-bounces at drupal.org [mailto:support-bounces at drupal.org] On
Behalf Of Roger
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:14 AM
To: support at drupal.org
Subject: [support] Drupal multisite install

Hi Rolf, thank you.

> You need to acces the sites by their name, so you set up virtual hosts
> for your first (site1), second (site2) and following hostnames
> (siteN), all pointing to /var/www/html

With VirtualHost in httpd.conf I have one:
<VirtualHost  *:80>
directives
Servername site1
directives
</VirtualHost>

If I set up another VirtualHost for site2, apache complains about 2 port
80's and gives priority to the first.
This has me perplexed. Can I not have a number of <VirtualHost> setups on
the same port if they are accessed at different times?

yes I restarted httpd after every test change.

> You also create hostnames for them, either in /etc/hosts or with a
> nameserver. If your webserver is on the same machine as your
> webbrowser, you put
>
> 127.0.0.1 site1
> 127.0.0.1 site2
> 127.0.0.1 siteN

Yes I have this.

> Then you cp the /home/www/html/sites/default/ Directory to
> /home/www/html/sites/site1 and
> /home/www/html/sites/site2 (and
> /home/www/html/sites/siteN).
>
> The installer should be available with your browser at
> http://site1
> http://site2
> http://siteN

Nope, It did not work and that's got me puzzled.
I can access the test Drupal 7 site with http://localhost/first.com but not
just http://first.com because there is a web site with that name which takes
precedence.

http://site1 is a folder in drupal7/sites, and is a copy of /default with
the database name and password changed, I get my test index.html in
/var/www/html but nothing from drupal.

http://localhost/site1 produces a Not Found error message.

I've deleted the error and access logs so will retry this evening and see of
any helpful new messages appear.
Roger