[support] How to duplicate a Drupal Setup.

Lloyd Lowe orcward at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:00:39 UTC 2011

Hi There,

I have inherited a Drupal 5 setup which our Organization uses on a daily
basis. We have a machine hosted in the UK that supplies our website to all
our visitors and sponsors. This website has been build on Drupal and I have
recently upgraded it to Drupal 6.20. We are planning on revamping this
website completely but cant afford to do this on the live site for obvious
reasons so i have done the following :

I have installed a Debian 6.0.1a machine with Apache2, PHP5 and
mysql-server. I have tarred the /var/www folder and the /etc/apache folder
and downloaded them to my local machine. I have backed up my database to a
.sql file using phpmyadmin and downloaded that as well. Let me tell you what
i have done so far :

in the sites-availabe and sites-enables folders I have websites that look
like this :   www.x.org.za (path = /var/www/drupal/home/www.x.org.za)

www.y.org.za (path = /var/www/drupal/home/www.y.org.za)

I have logged into phpmyadmin and imported the database.

I have untarred the download file into /var/www creating the paths specified
above.

Now, here are my questions :

1 . How do i change the names of the websites so i can browse them as
http://localhost/x etc....... ?
2 . How do i make sure that Drupal is using the data I imported in the step
above - Was I supposed to import the data into the database i pointed Drupal
to or does the website have seperate database references?

Thank you for your time,
Cheers,

Lloyd