[support] Extra measures to take before upgrading?

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Thu May 26 16:58:51 UTC 2011

On 26 May 2011, at 4:01 PM, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Excuse in advance for the question, maybe too simple...
>
> This will be my first upgrade after the security advice I received. I
> am on Drupal 7.0. I have read in detail the instructions and I have a
> full backup in my hard disk now (local) I will do the same wit5h the
> database in a few moments. I understand correctly what they say to do
> (I guess).
>
> A couple of questions
>
>  1) It is no the same if I upload ALL the content of the upgrade
> without deleting all folders before?

It really depends on how your FTP access works.

IOW, be careful!

>  2) Any extra advise you have for newbie people in Drupal before
> doing with the upgrade?

Backup first? (Always backup first!)

The database (mysqldump -p mydatabase > mydatabse.backup.sql) is one
thing, but you really have to know how your cp /scp / ftp defaults for
copying data files work within old files/directories.

Aside: I noticed this issue on Linux where a cp -R automatically
overwrites directories as expected; but with the filezilla
application, the default left old files in place.

Sometimes you want that behavior, but you always want to be aware of
how and when it's happening.

BACKUP! :)