[support] events page in drupal 7

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Tue May 31 16:33:25 UTC 2011

Hi all --

I have moderate exposure to Drupal 5 and 6, and am building a Drupal 7
site as a volunteer for a summer-long art project for kids. I could
probably learn the info I need by spending hours reading the docs and
playing in my sandbox installation, but the site needs to be up now, at
least with bare minimum features, and my time is very limited. So I'm
hoping for some suggestions to help me get this accomplished ASAP (and I
*promise* to read the docs over the next few weeks!)

I have a Main Menu item called Events.

I have created a content type called Events.

Each Events type node will need a start date, end date, description, and
if possible option to include an image.

When a site visitor clicks on Events all the Events type nodes should be
displayed in Start Date order, sort of like blog posts added to a blog site.

HOW DO I DO THIS? The problems I've run into so far are ...

1. When I made the Events main menu link, since I have no clue what path
to give it, for now I just used node/add. What node should it be? There
is no one Events "page", it will just be a list of events.

2. I don't see any Date field types in manage fields for the Event
content type. How do I add date fields?

3. How and where do I specify that any node of the Events content type
will appear when a visitor clicks the Events link? I thought of using
Views (which would handle the sorting too) but I see that Views is still
in Beta for D7 and I cannot afford to mess around with heavily buggy
modules. Any opinions on the status of Views?

4. Should I be using Taxonomy instead of or in addition to Content Type
to define which posts should appear under the Events link?

I would think that the question "how do I list all content of a
particular type under my menu link" is a FAQ but I can't find a simple
page that explains it. Any pointers would be so appreciated!!

kazar