[support] Using Git

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Sun Nov 6 05:16:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 06/11/2011, at 2:31 PM, Ms. Nancy Wichmann wrote:

> I have downloaded msysgit.
> It has a GUI built-in, so why does everyone list command line stuff? I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the GUI world and really don't want to go back, especially when I have to type in really long file locations and arcane parameters.
The main reason for posting command line is that is it more actuate and will work. Describing guy functions is much harder.
> All I want to do is commit (CVS term) my changed code to D.O. I don't need a lot of other fancy stuff.
If you take a look at the version control tab on your project page, it gives you quite a good run down on how to do the basics for you what you would generally need to do.
> How do I get my 6.x code into my D7 sites/all/modules, convert it, and save it back as a 7.x version?
To do this, the easiest method is in your D7 environment checkout out the D6 version of your module, which will be something like

$ git clone --branch 6.x-1.x xxx at git.drupal.org/project/example.get

If you are still using the master branch for your 6.x branch then use master instead of 6.x-1.x

This will give you a copy of your 6.x version in your 7.x site.

now run the following command to create the 7.x branch

$ git checkout -b 7.x-1.x

and then to send this to d.o do the following.

$ git push -u origin 7.x-1.x

Then I recommend you run your module through coder to do the initial upgrade and then fix up everything coder cannot convert.

> Secondarily, I need to use it for patches to other modules.
>
> Yes, I have been looking at the tutorials on D.O. Seriously, do you think an old blond like me understands all that with limited to no explanations on what I am doing?

Take a look at the version control tab of your project (make sure you are logged in) and it will explain most of it.

Gordon.