[support] Modules advice

Rolf Kutz rk at vzsze.de
Thu Nov 10 12:32:56 UTC 2011

In addition to what Carl said:

On 10/11/11 09:49 +0000, Wipe_Out wrote:
>Some advice on best practice..
>
>Is it better to use modules specific to a task even when another
>module that's needed anyway can achieve the same result?

i like to use as few modules as possible, because
it reduceѕ the maintenance burden, makes upgrades
easier (especially if you need to upgrade to a
new drupal version in the distant future), less
likely to be side effects (like incompatible
modules) and can make the site run faster. So
there have to be good reasons for me, to use an
additional module, if what I want can be achived
with existing frameworks.

>Here is what I mean.. I currently have a site that uses "Login Destination"
>and "Rules".. "Rules" can do the same thing, redirecting users to a page on
>login.. So in this scenario and others like it would it be better to remove
>"Login Destination" and just create a rule to do what's needed?

If you need rules anyway and they do what you
need, use rules.

regards
Rolf

--
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be
afraid of their people. - V