[support] Prevent access to original images

Peter Anderson list at panda.id.au
Sun Oct 2 04:03:47 UTC 2011

Hi Liviu,

I've just tried that but it doesn't seem to be working (or I'm doing it
wrong)...
I added a .htaccess file to the directory where my original photos
reside with:

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all

in it.

An example photo can be seen here:
http://www.russellphotography.net/sandy-beach
You should be able to view this image on its own at this URL:
http://www.russellphotography.net/system/files/styles/large/private/photos/Panda/sandy_beach_07.jpg

This is all good, but it then seems you can still edit the URL to view
the original photo:
http://www.russellphotography.net/system/files/photos/Panda/sandy_beach_07.jpg
Shouldn't that last, non-image styled URL be protected by the .htaccess
file? ('cause that's what I'm wanting to accomplish...)

Please advise what I'm doing wrong.

On 02/10/11 01:04, Liviu Nicolicioiu wrote:
> You can use imagecache to display
> images resized and place an .htaccess in the directory with the original file.
>
> In .htaccess add:
>
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny from all
>

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Peter Anderson<list at panda.id.au>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to allow my users to upload photos from their digital cameras. I
>> will use Image Styles to resize and watermark the photos to display in
>> galleries, etc. I then want to prevent access to the original,
>> full-size, non-watermarked photos; but even using a private file system
>> with the directory set outside the web root folder, it seems the
>> original photos are still accessible if you know (or can guess) the URL...
>>
>> Is there any possible way to prevent anyone accessing the original
>> photos, but allow full access to the image style derivatives?
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>> Peter Anderson.
>> http://panda.id.au