[support] A file upload page on my site..

Ms. Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 5 13:16:18 UTC 2011

I had a customer who did something I thought a bit strange, but perhaps it makes sense for you. You apparently also have the FileField module.

This customer had a content type (I know you said you didn't want one, but bear with me) that was only for doing uploads. They would use this type, which specified a directory, to upload a few files (or even one), and copy the files path as it gets displayed, wherever they needed the actual file included. That content type was never displayed anywhere, it was only for uploads so they could know the path.

With this technique, they don't need any fancy access control because the system already gives them role-based access to create, etc. They didn't need any other special directory control or settings, because that's built into FileField. And they certainly didn't need the dreaded FTP access. And with a nicely worded title, they could easily find it again if they needed to refresh their mind about what the file path was. And it prevented them from uploading the same file every time they needed to use it.

As I said, I thought it a bit silly when I encountered it, but thinking about your request, it seems that it really was a pretty good solution to their needs. And maybe yours.

Nancy