[support] Using Git for Site Building

sebastian inforazor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:49:16 UTC 2011

Hi Rolf,

Drupal is just a pain when it comes to merging DB changes from local to
production.

I use Features [incl Strong arm] and some other modules [Block export]
to try and have a handle on that; but I'm certainly open to other
recommendations.

For continually changing websites I've often found that its easier to
check what is changing on production [say comments, node_count and new
nodes of X type] and to then script those changes into the development
environment as a test-merge in a staging environment, and then move the
[successfully] merged code to production once the problems are ironed out.

There are also DB change recording tools for Drupal, but the problem is
you often don't know yet what the "final" state of something is when you
are still building it.

Or you have to do all your DB changes in code, instead of using the
GUI... and never use the GUI at all.

When I said that I do DB backups, I meant that as a solution to LOCAL
cahnges [like before updating my Drupal release version from D6.20 to
D6.22] but if you are instead trying to track changes from DEV to
PRODUCTION you clearly have a very different issue that you are trying
to address.

SVN's don't really play much of a part anymore, unless you are using the
SVC to track user files and such...

Best,

Sebastian.