[support] 2nd AD Server "rollover" not working with LDAP Integration Module

Broyhill, Gary Gary.Broyhill at lr.edu
Thu Sep 1 14:10:58 UTC 2011

I have been using LDAP Authentication Module (Drupal 6.x) successfully
with our network's AD server for a couple of years, no problem. (note: I
use an LDAP account with stripped down permissions for non-anonymous
search).

So ... our sysadmin people just added a second AD server to our network
for redundancy. They wanted me to test to see if Drupal's LDAP would work
with both servers. I added the server in the LDAP Module configuration. It
passed the authentication Test for non-anonymous search using my LDAP
account mentioned above.  I can disable either of the servers from the
Module settings, and authentication still takes place.

However, if either of the AD servers goes offline, Drupal's LDAP does not
find the second server. The only way I can make it work is to go in to the
LDAP settings and deactivate the server that went offline. According to
documentation on http://drupal.org/node/118123, "the LDAP Servers will be
consulted in the order they are listed. They are listed in the order they
are created. Future releases will include an option to re-order them for
authentication." This rollover doesn't seem to be happening, and I'm not
sure where to go from here. Searched the issue queue but did not find this
one.

Any enlightenment is welcome.

Gary Broyhill
www.lr.edu