[support] Store files on different server

steeph steeph at arcor.de
Fri Sep 16 16:11:23 UTC 2011

I want to store files from one filefield (or all files from
sites/default/files) on a different server to reduce the traffic on my
main server. It is a shared hosting so I can't mount a network drive.

I found one module (Storage API http://drupal.org/project/storage_api)
that seems to be able to help me but I can't get it to work. If somebody
knows another module that might do it, I'd appreciate a hint. If not,
here is what I've done and what it does now.

Using Drupal 6, Storage API 6.x-1.2 and the filefield integration from
http://drupal.org/node/1134868.

I created a container using the FTP service and a class with only that
conainer. Serving is enabled for the FTP container. Now in the FTP
directory two new directories were created: objects and files. I chose
the storing class on the filefield and checked "Use Storage API for file
storage". Now a copy of the files are stored on the FTP server when
creating or updating a node. But they are placed in the objects
directory and are named 1.bin, 2.bin, 3.bin etc. Also when viewing the
node or a view with the files still the old local files are used.

How can I make it serve the files from the FTP server? Or, maybe the
better question: What would be the usual way to do this in Drupal?

Thank you very much in advance for any hint or advice!
steeph