[support] attention any blind users on the list or site administrators spam prevention

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Wed Sep 21 07:14:32 UTC 2011

Good morning Jim and the list,

> Hi, I have seen a few posters on here with visual impairments.

I'm one of them. Blind and administrating two drupal sites.

> I would like
> to use some sort of spam prevention on my Drupal 7 site and would like to
> know what has worked best for you?

I didn't have to set-up any spam protection on the drupal sites I
amadministrating, so far. But as a user, what I find the mostconvenient
is when sites send you a code or a link in an e-mailyou then have to
re-send to the site to prove your request is legitimate.

I realise this is not an absolute protection, but perhaps this would be
enough to discourage spammers: wouldthey really want to automate such a
thing: fill a form, wait for an e-mail, extract the information from
that mail and then re-submit to the site...

The other point is that I don't know whether there are Drupal modules to
do that.

> I'm currently sifting through the spam
> prevention modules now trying to decide on the one I will be using for the
> contact form.

Well sometimes captchas may be okay if there is an audio equivalent and
if the sound is distinct enough to be heard. I already experienced with
audio captchas youcould absolutely not hear !

A satisfactory solution for me was the one used on project Euler's
website. It was audible, didn't use any javascript, so I found it pretty
cool and it is the only good experience I can think of regarding
captchas.

hth,
Sherab.