[support] How to add Link in navigation?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 13 13:21:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Bala Krishnamurthy <bala at ecubeh.com> wrote:
> The link I posted early on in the thread describes in some detail the
> scenario the author was trying to address and the rationale for his hack. No
> one bothered to read it, I guess.
>
> Here is the problem I was trying to address.
>
> 1. Single system running httpd daemon (web server), hosting single drupal
> site along with multiple non-drupal web apps (many built internally, some
> external FOSS). With the site as the (single) portal, we needed to provide
> menu links from within the drupal site to these different non-drupal apps
> running on the same machine.
>
> Relative paths would be the way to go, but drupal (6.22) does not allow menu
> links to non-drupal 'nodes'. The author has presented a screenshot of the
> drupal error when that is tried. Full URLs are ugly, but I would have tried
> it if it worked. It does not. Why?

I don't know why it didn't work for you.

> 2. The drupal site is accessed from many contexts:
> (a) External: by registered domain name, through public DNS servers
> translating name to IP
> (b) External: by IP
> (c) Internal: LAN: by hostname (this is the way the system, locally running
> named daemon etc are configured)
> (d) Internal: by IP (the 192.168 series)
> (e) Server: localhost
> (f) Server: 127.0.0.1
>
> and so on and on and on...

I see and understand.  I would have just created a block with contents
like the following:

</li></ul>

> A single Full URL will not work in another context, besides having to deal
> with the ugliness of changing the entire context.
>
> I looked and I saw the author had already solved the problem with the simple
> hack allowing non-drupal relative paths in the menu. I am hardly a drupal
> expert, and if someone has better ideas, I would be thrilled to listen.
>
> This is my last post on the thread unless someone has something useful to
> add.

Was the above useful enough.  There are other class items you can use,
just review the page source and take a look at the display of the menu
items to find what they are or take a look at the system-menus.css
file.

--
Earnie