[support] Displaying "Who's on line"

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 13 15:46:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM, steeph wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 05:12 PM, Ms. Nancy Wichmann wrote:
>>
>> Given that there is no way to create an accurate list, I usually advise
>> clients not to show such a list.
>
> How accurate is the block in core? Doesn't it still show users a few minutes
> after they logged out. It's not a problem to create a view with the same
> functionality.

That was Nancy's point.  There is no method to get an accurate list.
What if they just leave for the night logged in, are they "online"?

> You could also add more filters, like one to hide users who have chosen so
> in their profile settings. Without that I'd also not recomend using that
> block.

Yes, but it still isn't an accurate representation it is only an
approximation based on stored session data.  Nancy's suggestion to her
clients is to prevent user frustration caused by the inaccurate
representation.

--
Earnie