[support] MySQL table data safety/protection

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 27 12:24:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Kamal Palei wrote:
> Hi All
> I am using Drupal 6.26, MySQL (InnoDB).
>
> There are few mysql tables, that may be accessed by multiple users at
> sametime.
> Do I need to do anything extra to make sure mysql table data would not be
> corrupted.

Not that I'm aware of.  I've used InnoDB on 6.x successfully and on D7
it is the default.

> I read somewhere, I need to install transaction module to safeguard data.

Only if you plan to develop transaction based activity in a module.

> Can somebody advise me is it really required?

One of the best features of transactions is that you commit a set of
changes but tell write the changes out normally which are cached
waiting a commit.  If the commit never occurs then the changes are
never written.  So if one of the changes aborts all the other changes
also abort.  Drupal 6 doesn't make use of this so you do not need to
do anything special.  Drupal 7 does make some use of transactions but
still you don't need to do anything special.

--
Earnie