[support] How to make use of SOLR in a meaningful way

Kamal Palei palei.kamal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 02:58:44 UTC 2012

Hi All
I have installed apache solr 3.6.0  (4.x.x alpha/beta has lot of problems
as of now).
I have installed Apache Solr framework and Apache Solr search modules and
did the configurations.

Now it comes how can I use it in meaningful way.

Purpose of using SOLR is just for ---

1. I have a table with 2 columns. 1st column contains skill set name
(varchar) and other column contains skill-id(bigint).
I have a search string (may be with correct spell or wrong spell). I just
need to retreive corresponding skill id frok table.

2. * *I have a folder /sites/default/docs/ . In that folder I have one
folder per user. As the user base increases, the number of folders in
/sites/default/docs/ will increase.
And in user folder, one document will be there with user details
(containing user skills etc). Using SOLR I need search skill sets from
those documents.

Can somebody give me pointers how do I configure SOLR / Drupal etc to make
sure I am able to search data in MySql tables as well as in file contents.

Thanks and Regards
Kamal, NECS, Bangalore